Saturday, September 11, 2010

Northern Pacific

Last weekend we went to visit the old train station here in town-a building fashioned by the same architects that designed Grand Central Station. It is such a neat looking structure-it just radiates "history"-and THAT is something I LOVE! I've been telling Mike for years that, if I was rich-I'd buy that building, renovate it back to it's original shape & make it an Old Spaghetti Factory! Fat chance-I know-but a girl can have her dreams! Until last weekend, I never thought I'd even see through the boarded up windows. It was the 100th celebration of the Northern Pacific Railroad-which came through Ellensburg & put it on the map (like the railroads did with most towns). In honor of this the historical society was giving tours of the place, in the hopes to raise awareness of the funding needed to save this historical building-we are talking funding to the tune of 4 million dollars! Still-the stories about the place were magical, as was the walk through-Mike & I loved every second of it, and the kids thought it was pretty neat too. Keeping my fingers crossed that they can do something neat with this old place. If all goes well, it is supposed to be brought back to its glory days and house a couple small trinket shops and a restaurant! Great minds MUST think alike :)
one of my most favorite things about this place....the BEAUTIFUL cobblestones street!
the inside reminded me so much of my grandpa's university in England and the halls that I used to love to run & echo in as a child
SUPER HEAVY hand-made tiles & the same wood carpentry/moldings as our house! Makes sense-both were built in 1910...love love love
2 of the CUTEST train conductors you will EVER come across :) but then again-I'm partial...
stunning crown molding around every ceiling...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive