Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Our local Monster's Inc.

Today we went with our friends, The Halls, out to Wild Horse Wind Farm. On the drive out I attempted an explanation of what we were about to see to Em, Ayden & Bryce-I told them it was like what they do on Monster's Inc.-but instead of collecting "children's screams" for energy/electricity, they were collecting the wind! They were really excited-which I thought was funny. Little did I know that when we got there, they made the kids wear hardhats-just like they do on Monster's Inc! The kids thought that was pretty neat-I didn't. Bryce's hat was so big it fell off about 784 times during our tour (which annoyed me to no end) but whatever....
These wind turbines were REDICULOUSLY large! Standing at over 200 feet tall, the blades sometimes collect ice on them and the ice falling could create a "hazard"-thus the hard hats. We all got to go inside one of the turbines and see how the renewable electricity was collected and dispersed. That was pretty cool, but a job I could NEVER do because there is a gigantic problem with my fear of heights and the 200 feet up to the top thing..... I honestly never thought I'd see myself or my kids touring a wind-farm, but if you know ANYTHING about Ellensburg, you are well aware of the crazy wind we get here, so I figured-what the heck, it's local-let's check it out.
Bryce finally got frustrated at the very end and kept saying "Momma-Mike Wizowski.....peeeeeese"-poor kid totally didn't understand that we weren't REALLY going to Monster's Inc. Oh well-so ended our random mid-week adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive