Saturday, April 3, 2010

DOOMSDAY x3!

Gotta vent...
I have a MAJOR phobia of going to the dentist. Yep-28 years old and I turn into a 3 year old when check up's roll around. Now-this has not always been the case. I've had a couple GREAT dentists over the years that have had INCREDIBLE "bedside" manners. I've been blessed with good teeth-didn't have a cavity until I was over 18 and have straight teeth without my parents having to fork out thousands for braces! As they say-all good things must come to an end....right?
3 Years Ago:
Soon after I had EmmaLee I went into the dentist for just another 6 month routine cleaning and they told me I had like 5 cavities. I was hormonal and so I teared up about it-mainly because it was a bummer to hear that my teeth were "falling apart" but also because I knew that meant fillings-boo, but whatever-I'd had them before with my other dentists so I knew what to expect. (Even with my phobia of needles-I was ok-never been "bit" before, so I was "o.k" with it) The staff looked at me like they have never seen anyone tear up in their office before and prescribed me to take some VALIUM the next time I was to come back. WHAT THE HECK? Well, soon afterwards I found out I was preggers with Bryce, so Dr. Larson of course advised against taking these meds. Well, I head back in for one of these fillings and wouldn't you know it, they are mad at me for listening to my doctor and not taking the anti-anxiety pills. HELLO I AM GROWING A BABY HERE! :)
They tell me to take a seat and keep me waiting in the waiting room for over and HOUR. Finally a hygenist comes out and says condescendingly "Honey-why are you still here?" Me: Huh? Her: "We cancelled your appointment because you didn't take your MEDS".....I was SOOOOOO annoyed and told them "absolutely not-you fit me back in immediately"-long story short, they do and wouldn't ya know it...they couldn't get my mouth numb! 10 shots of Novicaine later and I'm STILL feeling everything-it's like I was being electrocuted and had intense sharp shooting pains in my head & ears. BAD NEWS & not the best feeling in the world :) So of course I continually winced and flinched, was gripping the chair like I was in labor and had tears streaming down my face-duh-natural reaction right???? No sobbing or wailing-just silent tears through the pain. Well- I TOTALLY ticked off the dentist I guess because he slammed down the drill and said "You know what-the anesthesia just isn't working so you're going to have to bite the bullet while I attempt to finish this!" It was the most terrifying hour or so of my life! And YES-worse than childbirth (because my pain meds actually WORKED during those moments of my life!). Needless to say-I haven't been back since-did you count back to how long ago that was? Yes-about 3 years!
Present day:
Popping Advil because of tooth aches is probably a bad sign right? Mike thought it was :) so he asked around at work for a good dentist that might be sensitive to my specific phobias and came up with a place in Yakima that does SEDATION! Scary????
Well I went in for my first visit to meet everyone, get x-rays, do paperwork, etc. and the end result=about $6000 worth of work! YOWZERS! I have cavities underneath all of my first fillings (the mercury ones), and the ones that I didn't get filled from my last experience, a couple new ones, 2 root canals, 3 crowns, and 3 wisdom teeth that need to be extracted! THANK HEAVEN I AM GOING TO BE SEDATED for it-they are getting it all done in 3 phases. Now my only worry is who is going to be with my babies while Mike and I are gone for 5+ hours each time? I REALLY worry about things like that. They've only ever been left with 2 different babysitters and only for date nights. There's always something isn't there? lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive