Saturday, January 30, 2010

Give a Day-Get a Day

We are on the mailing list for Disneyland info and got this email a few weeks ago explaining Disney's new "Give a Day-Get a Day" promotion.
It said: Life gives us so many feel-good reasons to celebrate: birthdays, anniversaries, reunions and beyond. But this year, Disney Parks is celebrating a new reason—and that's the good things we do for each other. Basically the gist is: give one day of volunteer service-and disney sends you a days ticket to Disneyland! The ticket can be used at ANY time during the next year-no black outs, no weird off days or off hours, etc. no stipulations period! Too cool! So I signed Mike & I up to help Habitat for Humanity here in Ellensburg. 
It seemed silly for us to hire a babysitter for both our kiddos for 8+ hours and pay THEM just so that WE could go volunteer, so Mike stayed home with the kids and I went alone this Saturday-and he'll volunteer next Saturday.

Well, there I was at 8am in the rain and all- having NOT THE FIRST CLUE of anything related to the construction of ANYTHING-let alone someone's house! Yikes. But never you fear-I wasn't alone. :) Another elementary school teacher here in town had brought her family to work there for the disney promo too! So at least I had company with my lack of expertise! Luckily I knew one of the job site managers and he quickly put the 2 of us to work.

We sided the ENTIRE outside of the house with a styrofoam underlayment material (to get the house ready for siding to be applied), then we went inside for instructions from the electrician on site. He had us drilling 1 1/2 inch holes through EVERY BLESSED stud with this GIANT 12 inch long drill bit!  When that was finished we fished all different kinds of wiring through the holes and up into the trusses....whew! It was definitely different work than what I am used to, but I learned SO much and spent my day out in the fresh air, among enjoyable company-laughing at our lack of construction skills, and sinking practically knee deep in glorious mud!

While there we unknowingly bumped into and started "girl talking" with the soon to be occupant of the home. She is a single mom with 3 kids ages 8-12! She showed us her binder full of paint swatches and landscape design ideas, etc.-so fun! Obviously she's VERY excited about this project! When she found out I was a "Martone", she quickly shook my hand and thanked me for coming to help. She was really excited to meet me and told me all about how her daughter LOVES Mike because he was her FAVORITE teacher! The teacher lady I had been working with recognized my name at the same time and called her daughter over in excitement too-apparently he was also HER daughters favorite teacher back in 7th grade too! So of course I was instantly proud of my Poobee! I hear this a lot about him-so 2 thumbs up for Mike today! (We'll just have to see how much they love his CONSTRUCTION skills next weekend! he he he!)

I will most certainly have to go again-what a great opportunity to serve people you don't even know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive