Thursday, December 1, 2011

Teachers Pay Teachers

When I was earning my Master's degree, I had to write an entire curriculum for Kindergarten Social Studies, then create the example lessons & demonstrate them to my board of Professors. It was SOOOOOO much work-I felt like my eyes were constantly glued to a computer screen. I remember thinking how ironic it was because I knew that when was over, I would most likely have to do it again MANY times in my career. YEP!
First year teaching-I taught in a VERY low income district. They had zero in the way of a science curriculum & yet it was part of my job description to teach that subject! Nice.....really nice. And being the "fresh out of college-new kid on the block", my second grade team approached me and basically requested that i write a science curriculum that they all could use that year! WHHHAAAAAAAT! Again-a LOT of work. Very time consuming & draining (especially those days when you do NOT feel the creative bug-ugh). Anywho-I did it & for free....but all's well that ends well.
Which brings me to today & one of my favorite resources: TEACHERS PAY TEACHERS! An ingenious idea & something I don't know how I lived without! Since I discovered it, I have passed the "secret" of it's existence to my colleagues & we become like kids in a candy shop (sad-I know, we need to get out more right?). For years now, I have been bugged to sell the curriculums I have made for my own students, but I thought-yeah right! However, last night, I got a wild horse hair. What IF I tried? What could it hurt? I am very proud of the hard work I put into my job. Why shouldn't I share my stuff & get paid for it? You should also know, I am not one of those people who gets all kinds of annoyed when people use their ideas. After all-it is the highest form of flattery, right? So-with a new month approaching, I had yet ANOTHER curriculum to write (because I am too dumb to pull out what I did 2 years ago & try that...or maybe it's because I like to switch it up? Who knows). Now I've got this new curriculum under my belt and posted for sale online-I was finally able to hit the hay at 3am this morning. (Yes it's been a LOOOOOOONG day so far).  :) The good news? As of 8am this morning, I already have a sale! Woo-hoo!

You can check out my teacher store at:
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Grinch-Math-FREEBIE

Here's hoping this works & that I can eventually get all my files converted to digital & posted-and maybe make a little extra cash on the side? How organized that thought feels......mmmmmmm. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive