Friday, November 9, 2012

Like a Handprint on my Heart

Emma got ready this morning in her "American Flag" dress & soldier jacket...Bryce knew something special was happening at her school today-and it had to do with soldiers. He begged to go watch. I couldn't have been prouder. OF COURSE I obliged :)
In the cafeteria we found soliders holding papers covered in crayon filled "Thank You" sentiments, 90 year old veterans in dress blues holding construction paper soldier doll cutouts, and kids lined up to shake the hands of their heroes. It was moving to say the least. 
The kindergarten kids made their entrance by marching & singing "When Johnny Comes Marching Home".


Too cute. Then they joined the rest of the student body by singing songs to honor the Veterans. Even if you aren't a sentimental person, watching grown men cry at the gesture from the kids, was a DEFINITE tugger on the heartstrings! 

There wasn't a dry eye in the place by the time the assembly was over an hour later. Before we left, Bryce went over and gave away a couple hugs to some "Grandpa Soldiers" and said his own Thank You's. Of course, I cried the whole way out the school door to my home front door. lol. What else is new? Still, there is definitely a spot on my heart where today's memory was left. I am one gratitude filled American-for these men & women who defend our freedom as well as the phenomenal school my munchkin attends-where they see the importance of teaching patriotism to our youth & the ways we can show respect for our country.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...all I can say is wow. What a wonderful experience. You do have the BEST school I've ever heard of.

    ReplyDelete