Thursday, November 1, 2012

Dia de los Muertos

Welcome to Day of the Dead-Ellensburg/Preschool Style!

I really wanted to my kids to earn some culture this month, especially with the halloween holiday in full effect all around them. Dia De Los Muertos was the PERFECT outlet for it. In science, we decided on a lesson of "Bread of the Dead" or the effect of yeast in the bread making process.
My good friend Laurel is a science teacher and master bread maker (I am NOT) and so I had her come in & teach the lesson for me! The kids had a blast. 

I made their usual lab notes worksheet & she had them make a hypothesis about which temperature of water the yeast would like best. Their choices that they tested were: Cold H20, Warm H20 and HOT H20.

It was determined that it was WARM H20 that worked best! So-let the bread making process begin!




Each kiddo kneded their dough, made an x of BONES & we plopped it in the oven. The end result was pretty cute. :) and boy did they scarf it down! A HUGE success!



No comments:

Post a Comment