Monday, October 3, 2011

New/Old Cider Press=A GREAT Reason to PARTY!

Last week we bought a vintage cider press from some old widow in Royal City. She basically just wanted it out of her garage-because she sold it to me for $25! Did she know they still go for over $200??? Um-I didn't care to ask :/
Haven't taken a picture of ours yet-but it looks kinda like this-but the main structure is all metal instead of wood. WAAAAAAY more fun than a Jack LaLane juicer! :)
Anywhoooo-my sweet students & own 2 children, picked 120 lbs of apples at the U-pick orchard in Yakima last week during our school field trip. Boy they were fast little harvesters! By the time I could reign them in-120 lbs is what I had. Can't put em back on the tree now! Of course we used MAYBE 10 lbs at preschool Apple Fest-thus leaving me UP TO MY EYEBALLS still in beautiful, fresh, organic Gala apples! hmmmmm-what to do, what to do....
I made a couple batches of SUPER YUMMY applesauce with this recipe: (you could fool me that it was applesauce-tastes like PIE filling! YUMMO-and I do not usually like applesauce of any kind)

Homemade Applepie Sauce
8 apples cored & sliced
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Mix water, sugar, cinnamon & vanilla in a large crockpot. Add apples. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Use an applesauce sieve to crush (if you don't have one-peel your apples before cooking & once cooked, mash with a potato masher). 

So....after a couple rounds of doubling that recipe, I found myself still staring at 2 heaping wagons full of red orbs! Didn't even make a stinkin' dent. 
Well-at this point what better way to get rid of these beauts but to host a CIDER PARTY! ;) 
A great excuse for a good old fashioned family shin-dig? Especially during my FAVORITE month of the year! Can't wait! Hopefully I don't get bombarded with half the staff of Morgan Middle School banging down my door-wouldn't that be funny to RUN OUT of apples at this point?? :/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive