Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Penny Saved...

I got it from my dad, who got it from his mom....being frugal is in my blood. I JUST CAN'T HELP IT PEOPLE! I am not "cheap" by any means, but I have a hard time buying ANYTHING without some kind of deal attached to it...coupon, ebay, rebate (MUST be the instant kind-I don't fool around with the others), craigslist, yard sale, or swap meet. Don't care-a deal is a deal & I am all over it like white on rice! Makes me as giddy as a schoolgirl I tell ya! :) However-I am a little different while on my "hunt" than others can be. I only buy stuff that I am looking for, I don't get stuff "just because it's a good deal". That seems ridiculous to me....and a waste of money. So, whenever family vacations roll around-nothing changes. I just look at it as added opportunities for finding a deal. Take our upcoming annual San Diego trip for example:

Airfare for 4 people: Retail Price-$650
We paid: $500
How? Southwest vouchers "purchased"/gifted to me off Ebay! $650 worth of airfare purchased for $500 (which we had set aside already thanks to the gift from Mike's parents last christmas-for which we are beyond grateful!)

Disneyland 2 day park hoppers x4: Retail Price-$692
We paid: $330
How? Ebay-family sharing multiple day passes (we've done it the past 2 times & it saves both families a BOATLOAD! Obviously, and we get tickets in hand that we don't have to return!)

Hotel suite 1 night: Retail Price-$117 
We paid: $87 
How? Teacher discount :) Sometimes the whole teacher thing actually has benefits :)

Food at Disney: Jamba breakfast w/coupon found online, Rainforest Cafe Dinner w/membership card discount & $10 off coupon found online, and Disney gift cards I got for my birthday-they can be used for ANYTHING in the park! :)

Legoland 1 day hopper x 4: Retail Price-$356
We paid:$160
How? Ebay! Bought a coupon for $1-kids are FREE with paying adult. Mom pays for one adult & Bryce is free, I pay for myself & Em is free! So technically, this only cost me $80! :)

Hot Dog on a Stick lunch: Retail Price-$20
We paid:$10
How? GROUPON! :) My favorite resource.

Photography workshop at Huntington Beach x2 tix: Retail Price-$400
We paid: $110
How? GROUPON!

Date Night-2 tickets to the Movies: Retail Price-$21
We paid: $9 (free babysitter-thanks mom! :)
How? GROUPON!

Vacation on a budget....see-this can be done without missing out on things you want to do! :) Just takes a little time for planning & research. And it doesn't hurt to have family & friends that help with lodging & good times while there too.....now that all the planning is done-I'm just counting down the days til HOME SWEET HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive