Friday, March 11, 2011

Growin Up :(

My little girl is growing up. She's finally hit a level of maturity that I can now trust her with her the "right of passage" that my sisters and I had growing up-the love of American Girl Dolls! Em got her first mini AG doll "Kaya" from Grammie at my baby shower for Em in Bremerton. I tucked it away on her bookshelf these past 4 years and vowed to NOT let Em touch it until the time came. She got her 2nd mini "Emily" on her first trip to the American Girl store at the Grove in LA when she was 1.
She has ALWAYS had a love of baby dolls, but these dollies are different-different than barbies & any other kind of doll. If you've ever owned one-you know what I mean. :) They are collectable "playthings" with TONS AND TONS of accessories, books, & other various items that the company can market at outrageous prices. The one thing I will say for American Girl though-is they stand the test of time & are made EXTREMELY well.
 
Well-she finally got her own room back (after the mess of the classroom/playroom switch around a few months back) and now that she is back high atop her playhouse bed, she noticed these 2 random boxes with doll faces peeking out them, nestled on the highest platform of her bookshelf. Funny thing is, 2 days prior to this "discovery", Dad brought home the mail & handed the AG catalog to her. She LOVED looking through it and asked me what each dollies name was, and some info about each one. We've been getting this catty for years, but this is the first time she's paid any attention to its contents. The best part was when I showed her the doll that looked like her-and told her the dolls name was really EMILY and to top it off Emily's best friend doll is MOLLY! Funny. Em of course replied "See Mom-just like ME and MY Molly!" (Molly is EmmaLee's best friend at school). I think we were equally excited-she & I! Silly right? So when she saw those boxes and the logos on them she KNEW.....
which brings me to tonight. Having just had my wisdom teeth pulled, Mike was in-charge this evening, but of course (dizzy as I was), I had to go in and tuck my babies in after they fell asleep. This is what I found-
See that...catalog & all. :) I'm keeping a close watch on this chicadee & if she can prove herself with these minis-she is going to have a GREAT time on the girls trip to LA with Nana and I this summer! We just might need to make a stop in for "tea" at the AG cafe! :) Right now she is earning chores money (helping mom around the house, keeping her room tidy-that kind of stuff) and is hoping to earn a mini Molly to join this little group. Good for her. I love character building opportunities, especially when she comes up with the plan to earn things on her own accord-even if she is only 4. Can't wait to expose her to all the matchy match outfits for herself & the bigger size dolls! She'll be in HOG HEAVEN-fashion AND dolls-oh my! 

No comments:

Post a Comment