Monday, March 29, 2010

Memories of My Big Grandpa

Today is my Big Grandpa's birthday. If he were still with us, he would have been 83 today! Crazy! My Uncle Thomas sparked some fond memories of him this morning when he posted a happy birthday message to Gramps on Facebook-so here is my own trip down memory lane:
  • We always called him Big Grandpa because he was a "BIG" guy-tall & broad....especially compared to my mom's dad, whom we affectionately called Little Grandpa :) Grandpa Allison shopped at Big & Tall, if that gives you any indication of what I mean :) 
  • I used to LOVE when mom & dad would take us to P.Q. to visit Grandma Verna & Big Grandpa-they ALWAYS had a pool (no matter how many times they moved) and it was LOADS of fun! 
  • Uncle Thomas was usually there, and used to play marbles with us, since he was nearer our age (to some degree) and the only kid still at home.
  • Grandpa always made the YUMMIEST smelling and tasting mexican food-except WHOA spicey :)
  • He always called us his "little rascals"
  • He gave the biggest, tightest hugs!
  • When he'd come visit us in Escondido-he always used to take us out to Kings Table restaurant (we LOVED that place) and he'd have HUGE toys for us. Like giant stuffed animals, etc. 
  • Even when he was very sick towards the end, he still let us sit on his lap in the big recliner. He never said much, but even through the silence you could feel that he loved you very much.
  • At the hospital in San Diego, when he died, was the first time in my life I remember seeing my dad cry :( 
He was most definately the patriarch of the Allison Family-everyone respected him and looked up to him. There are many reasons for that. Some of my great admirations are:
  • He had a P.H.d in Linguistics and could speak 7 different languages.
  • He was a heavyweight boxing champion when he was in the Navy (Hollie and I used to love to sneak a peak at the golden boxing glove trinket that he won-my dad always had it in a "safe" spot, but we knew how to get at it to admire it! :) Sorry Dad :)
  • He was the Executive Vice President at the Univeristy my dad attended in England 
  • He was the University Provost at BYU Hawaii and then became their Executive Vice President
My grandpa always upheld our family name with the greatest of care-and he is partially the reason why I decided to earn a Master's Degree while I was pregnant with Em :) My name on all 3 of my degrees say "Allison-Martone" because I am proud of who I am and the lineage I come from (as well as where I am going.) There have been times in my life when I have stopped and thought "what would Grandpa think or do about this or that" and then made a better decision than I may have originally. I was 8 when he died but he had a lifelong inpact on me....especially coming to realize at such a young age that CANCER SERIOUSLY SUCKS! Nevertheless, I'm grateful for the time we shared with him. I love you Big Grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment