Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Oh Mr. Sun, PLEASE SHINE DOWN ON ME!

The sun has been shining all week-and let me tell you-THAT is a spring MIRACLE and YES- I have been relishing in it! So while Mr. Mike has been at work, I dragged the kids to a couple trips to the nursery for play-bark & river rock, and the lumber store for some materials to make a new planter box for their new garden area we are creating for them this year.
Check out my hired help-*note: it doesn't matter how old you are, plumbers cracks show no age discrimination. See example below:
He is a cutie patootie though-and such a good little laborer :) I took load after load of river rock in my wheelbarrow-and he followed behind with 4 rocks in his own mini wheelbarrow. Happy as a clam.


So inventive is this little man-made himself a ramp out of leftover decking...smart cookie.

He got it to the end of the ramp-dumped it & shook it from side to side, making sure he got every rock out-just like I had been doing. Love it! So as you can see-Bryce helped finish the kids new sandbox/water table area & it is working out wonderfully!
Finished putting the new bark in the swingset area & moved on to building and painting a new fence for the dog run area. TIP OF THE CENTURY: Do NOT buy vinyl fencing if you live in an incredibly windy area! The boards are merely glued together & break off quite easily. They are entirely too expensive to be so cheaply put together. I'll step off my soapbox now because fence #2 is FANTASTICLY SOLID! I decided to use cedar decking material instead of fence boards. 
Dug out the power tools & cut the boards to my desired length and I LOVE the outcome. Seriously-LOVE LOVE LOVE. Of course it is not finished entirely-but I'm happy with it so far-and all in a day's work WITH kids in tow! (Not neglected kiddos either for you nay-sayers! :) Next I'll need to organize/clear out all that crap inside the poor doggie area. lol

The next day, the kids and I worked on moving the rest of the river rock from the truck to the new garden area-in the hopes that it will serve as a dry "river bed" for the roof rain run-off. Adios to the soupy muddy mess of a sideyard! Pulled out the power tools again and cut the treated lumber I needed to make the raised planter beds....and hung the spanish fountain & other outdoor decorative items that  I've had stored in the shed for the past couple years. It's slowly coming along out there :) Makes my heart happy.

Once that was done-I used those sweet power tools again (which the kids now call "Momma's Tools"- :) and cut the Trex decking that we have had sitting by the shed for the past 3 YEARS-(no joke) and actually cut them for their intended purpose....our front steps! Another spring miracle! Set them up to see what they would look like and....WOOO-HOOOOO! 
Arrivederci ugly "temporary" (3 years temporary) stairs!
While out there I decided to spruce up the front yard too-so I installed the new flag I got at Costco 2 months ago :) I love that it is so HUGE! Our flag definitely makes a statement as it sways out there.
God Bless America!
Now-the let down
....as I finally sit back with a glass of water, and look around to admire my hard work this week-
THIS CRAP 
stares me in the face. 
UFF-DA. That really sucks!
Such a HUGE undertaking and MAJOR budget buster.....Do the home projects ever end-let alone on a house that is over 100 years old? Oh the joys of home ownership. Thank goodness the whole house doesn't look like this-or else I might keel over!

No comments:

Post a Comment