Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Captain America...In the Flesh...x2!

With Veterans Day around the corner, I wanted to pay tribute again to the heroes in our family. Lately Bryce has been REALLY into the MARVEL character Captain America. Granted he's had Captain America toys since he was born, and even had a Captain America (/wolverine) cake for his 2nd birthday...but he's just really into it again lately for whatever reason. 
The other night Mike talked me into renting the new Captain America movie that just came out. I feared it would be $1 and 1.5 hours I could never get back-because I don't do sci-fi or comic book crap....usually. With the exception of Iron Man & Batman. He assured me it would be of the same type. So I sat down with my ipad-ready to multitask through it :) Needless to say-never needed the iPad. I LOVED it! Bryce was able to watch the first half with us-then Mike warned that a scary comic book character would probably come in to play soon & it would be best for B to scram :) However-until that point, he couldn't have been happier. Woo-hooing for the "underdog" Captain America & loving all the Soldier stuff (like we've been talking about in school). Mike & I looked at him, then each other & agreed- if anyone in this family was to join the ranks-it would be "ooh rah Bryce". Ha ha ha. Watch the movie-you'll see this little guys reasoning soon enough.
Which brings me to today. My students have been honoring our military this month at my preschool. I think it is important to instill patriotism in my kids, just like I said in my post this time last year-about teaching the Pledge of Allegiance. :) They have been working hard the past week to collect items for our troops in combat: things like stuffed animals for soldiers to give to the kids they meet, blank cards for them to send home, various toiletries, munchies/snacks, etc. We joined forces with Mike's class at the Middle School for it. In 3 days we ended up with two overflowing laundry baskets & 2 giant bags full from their efforts. Parents said the kids were SO excited to bring stuff in for "the soldiers".  I am pretty proud of them. 
Mike & I are going to take the kids across campus to let Em & B see part of the 24 silent vigil this Friday. It's actually something I look forward too.
For show & tell day at school last Friday-the kids were asked to bring in pictures of heroes in their family (or friends). Kids were BEAMING with pride as they entered my classroom with their various pictures. They each got to get up in front of the class & show the picture of their hero & who they were. 
We made a giant American flag by using each students' handprints & added the photos to it-creating a WALL OF HONOR.
Bryce shared photos of his Papa Martone & Grandpa Allison....
Em was just as proud to show her photos-even though they were of the same people! :)

Em had a class activity about what Veterans Day means.....this is what she said she would send to a soldier to say "Thank You".....she obviously had the care packages on the brain! :)
The kids have been dressing up as "Army guys" since the first of the month-they LOOOOOOOVE it! Best dress up ever-hands down. Gotta get some more-ebay here I come!
This is what the completed WALL OF HONOR looks like. The picts are still coming in-and I LOVE that fact!


One of the first projects we did this month to decorate our classroom-Bald Eagles. Em & B said they are going to send theirs to Grandpa when we are done with them at school....wonder why? Could it be that giant Eagle feather in his basement that they stare at each July? :)
So here's a HUGE thank you to the real Captain America's out there, namely-Captain Martone & Colonel Allison. Words can't ever express the gratitude I have for your service & dedication to keeping our country safe. We love you!
How do you thank our Veterans each 11.11?

No comments:

Post a Comment