Sunday, August 1, 2010

Exploring old & new TeriTORI.....Day 4

Day 4
This morning we had an oh so yummy hotel breakfast of Biscuits & Gravy (my very favorite breakfast food), before starting back down 101. Mom insisted on driving this time (she thought she was giving me a break….you can stop laughing now, if you have guessed what happened next J) I said “stay on this road , hwy 101, until  it connects to 1-5 south..” FAMOUS LAST WORDS….Let me add that this connection takes place in the middle of Hollywood., CA!!!! Enough said huh? As I watched the exit for 5 south pass by on the right (after I told mom to take the next right), she argued that I told her to “stay on this road”, which apparently to her meant, “just continue straight until you eventually hit MEXICO!” Lesson learned: my mother is extremely literal. So after a 30-minute detour in the middle of L.A., we finally get onto the 5, only to face traffic that started 20 minutes prior! GRRRRRRRRRRRR J Yep-it always makes you feel happier knowing you would have missed it if “someone else” was driving-did I mention it was L.A. traffic????? Like nowhere else in the world J Lucky us. lol.  Luckily we were heading to a favorite childhood spot, called Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlor, so I chilled out a bit  (being lost makes me NUTS!)  Mom admitted that I inherited my dad’s sense of direction, for which I am blessed. I rarely get lost, hardly ever need the use of a map, and without a panic can get myself “un-turned around” if I need to. Thank heaven for that!


Farrell’s was TERRIFIC! They still do HUGE birthday bashes, have the barrels of candy I was so fond of as a child (especially the glass jars full of various sized jaw breakers), a piano that plays by itself and an old time band that puts on a little show for the “birthday” person. I LOVED every minute. 


Hit up another fav. Spot for lunch-Hot Dog on Stick for a  Pepper Jack cheese stick & limeade before the most anticipated part of our trip….staying at Chateau Le Rue! 
Mom & I are suckers for Tori Spelling and LOVE watching the show “Tori & Dean”, so staying here was a MUST! It was terrific. Serene and tasteful beauty-what else would you expect when Tori Spelling was the designer? We stayed in the carriage house, and can’t wait to go again someday. 

Old Town Temecula is not far away from the B&B in Fallbrook, so we headed up for a snack & some touring. Mom thought I’d like it because it is a western town. She was correct. LOVED it! Thanks for the idea mom.  Especially loved the bbq place with peanuts & straw on the floor! We’ve gotta bring Mike here next summer!








 






It was so nice outside in the early California evening, so we spontaneously decided to go downtown San Diego to my most beloved Imperial Beach, which is connected to the Hotel Del Coronado.  A walk on the beach,  & surrey bike ride on the boardwalk is SO much fun on southern California nights J Seriously….nothing compares.













The only thing that would have made it better would have been having my poobee there to love on while the sun set on the shore. L 
On the way back to Château Le Rue, we grabbed some cannolli and a pizza at Filippi’s and some ice cream at Thrifty’s too-because no trip to  San Diego is complete without a stop to these spots (oops….sorry again Mike-lol)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive