Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sullivan Memorial Tree

Bryce's best friend in Kindergarten is a sweet boy named Cody. His dad passed away this last friday from his battle with cancer. He was only 44. It has been a very sorrowful week at work and home. I can't even imagine what Lynn and the boys are feeling. Cody seems to get through it by giggling at inappropriate times. Older brother (3rd grade) spends his time trying to comfort mom-who is actually a ROCK. Our small community of Ellensburg really came together for this family. Within 5 minutes *literally*-they had volunteers for over 2 weeks worth of meals being delivered. People came out of the woodwork to plan the memorial and all the little details that need to be done, but no one WANTS to do. They didn't want Lynn doing anything. And in the end she didn't have to. It was the MOST BEAUTIFUL celebration of life that I have EVER....EVER attended. Every detail was perfect. From the speakers, to the music & decor. Perfect tribute to a wonderful man.
This was by far the HARDEST thing I have ever had to photograph. I would never choose to capture these types of images, however, Lynn's mom found me in the congregation and asked if I would-so I ran home, grabbed my camera and blubbered my way through the whole thing. Ugh. 
 At Valley View, we decided to buy a memorial "giving tree" for the boys. Staff, and random families from the boys classes all donated money & gift cards for Family Time/Memory Making activities. I attached them all to tags & tied it all up with a burlap bow, rustic star & green cowboy boots (Eamon was a cowboy who's favorite color was green). When Lynn walked in and saw it she broke down. It was VERY hard to watch. This is the first time I've actually seen her cry. Like I said-she's a very strong woman.


 Eamon was actually born & raised in Bremerton. There were lots of people at the celebration that were from Bremerton/Silverdale-like the owners of Dahls Glass (apparent long time family friends). I also learned that Eamon graduated from Olympic High. I think he must have gone to school with Mike's sisters. Small world.

 Mr Botten-our school counselor has become one of Cody's ALL TIME FAVORITE people. :(


 At the end of the slide show, the music faded and Eamons voice came up. He expressed his wishes for his boys as they grow and the love of this life that he was leaving behind. The sobs from EVERYONE in the crowd were uncontrollable. It was so bitter sweet-something I will NEVER forget. Still puts a lump in my throat. We will definitely keep this family close.








No comments:

Post a Comment